Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube Watch us on Google+
Register

Default Ford 302 HEI/ solenoid help

My 302 motor came out of a 1970 F100. I recently starting wiring my Sedan up and I upgraded to a small cap HEI distributor and a Ecore style coil. The small cap distributor does not have the coil built in. I connected the red wire from the distributor to the + on the coil and the black to the -. I also ran another wire from the + on the coil to my ignition switch. Now my question is, on the solenoid what wires do I connect to the "S" and "I" terminals? I've read so many different things and I need some advice!!!

2. Default

S stands for start as in that is the terminal you send power to, to crank the engine, and the I terminal is for the old points systems that had a ballast resistor to cut running voltage to the coil to ~9volts, so it would not burn up. the wire would run from the I term to the + side of the coil to deliver 12 volts while starting. if you have a separate switch to make the circuit to the ignition hot you don't need a wire on the I term.

Thanks olddave!! That makes sense, the only part I am confused about is what you mean by separate switch. My universal ignition switch reads BAT, ACC, IGN and ST. Any suggestions as to wire placement for those terms. Thanks for the response!!

4. Default

by separate switch I mean one that is only on or off, not a traditional "acc., off, on, start/ turn key" type switch. most turn key type switches don't feed juice to the I term. of the switch while cranking, thus needing the feed wire from the solenoid.

like in my drag cars I would use a 75 amp pull on / push off type switch for my main power switch. pull it out and all my electrics were hot including the ignition, and I used a push button starter switch.