Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube Watch us on Google+
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Can I clear Coat my car to save the patina?

Hey guys quick ? I'm looking for any info on. I just bought this awesome 59 Bel Air and it has just the coolest look so I don't want to lose it. Can I just clear coat it? Or is there a paint just for this job I have not heard of yet? The car has rust but no through rust. Any help?

You can it will preserve it to a extent... No telling how long the clear will last because the adhesion isn't the best... I would use a mat clear or flat...

3. Default

Lets see now, the car is a 1959, which makes it 53 years old....I take it, it has original paint. Do you need this to last another 53 years?....Just leave it alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Stroker McGurk View Post
    Lets see now, the car is a 1959, which makes it 53 years old....I take it, it has original paint. Do you need this to last another 53 years?....Just leave it alone.
    My thoughts exactly!

if you spray clearcoat diretly on bare metal, it will not adhere properly, and will explode within a year or two. it's a TOPCOAT, it has no corrosion protective properties.

when applied over questionable paint, regular clear will slow the deterioration of the paint under it, but still might turn into a cluster.

-------

instead, I used a new product that was previously only available in black.

it's Wurth Rust Gaurd Clear.

it's made to apply over rust, and kill it. similar to PUR 15 or whatever.

I reduced it 10% / prepped the bare rusty metal with 80 grit (rough!) and shot it.

---

for your application I would wet scuff the car with a grey scuff pad (1000grit) and soapy water

then dry, tape and shoot.
    ---

------------------------------
    after it dried I scuffed the clear with a grey pad to kill the shine

Last edited by biGshiz79; 08-20-2012 at 04:31 PM.
    Bodyman, painter, frame guy.. basically I hit sh*t with hammers..

here os my poor mans .02:

I have long term projects and end up doing and leaving some of them outside in the elements. While I was doing the body work on my 1972 crew cab pick-up, i would spray any of the bare metal spots with aqua net or white rain aerosol hairspray. Some of it lasted up to two years without flash rusting. It may have lasted longer, but i didnt need it to. The cool thing about it is that cold water wont touch it, but if you take warm water on a rag and wipe over it, it comes right back off. I dont know if I would do an entire car in it, but it might be interesting to see the results- it worked awesome for the spots I needed to protect.

lets see some pics of that Bel Air.

John.

Quote Originally Posted by OKEYJOHN View Post
    here os my poor mans .02:

I have long term projects and end up doing and leaving some of them outside in the elements. While I was doing the body work on my 1972 crew cab pick-up, i would spray any of the bare metal spots with aqua net or white rain aerosol hairspray. Some of it lasted up to two years without flash rusting. It may have lasted longer, but i didnt need it to. The cool thing about it is that cold water wont touch it, but if you take warm water on a rag and wipe over it, it comes right back off. I dont know if I would do an entire car in it, but it might be interesting to see the results- it worked awesome for the spots I needed to protect.

lets see some pics of that Bel Air.

John.
    It comes off with warm water and a rag?? what about getting cought in the rain on a hot summer day??? While driving wouldn't that be just about the same??
    I say leave it anything from here on out is just going to make it look better!!
    If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea... does that mean that one enjoys it?

Quote Originally Posted by biGshiz79 View Post
    if you spray clearcoat diretly on bare metal, it will not adhere properly, and will explode within a year or two. it's a TOPCOAT, it has no corrosion protective properties.

when applied over questionable paint, regular clear will slow the deterioration of the paint under it, but still might turn into a cluster.

-------

I reduced it 10% / prepped the bare rusty metal with 80 grit (rough!) and shot it.

---

for your application I would wet scuff the car with a grey scuff pad (1000grit) and soapy water

---

It be interesting to see how it does over time- It is like POR15 and is not UV resistant...

Quote Originally Posted by biGshiz79 View Post

-------

---

---

how would this work on bare metal? thats the direction i think im leaning towards with my project, no paint, and don't want it to rust

"how would this work on bare metal? thats the direction i think im leaning towards with my project, no paint, and don't want it to rust"

I used a product on my bare metal chevy called permalac. No rust!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last