Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube Watch us on Google+
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 53 3100 build

1. Default 53 3100 build

Hows everything going. I figured this would be a good place to catalog my build. It is the biggest project I have taken on. I have been at it for a few months already. I am an active duty service member and my time is limited mostly to the weekend. Alot of weekends I get pulled away to spend time with wife and 2 kids.

I got the truck with the roof already cut off. The guy really hacked it up. No lines used he just hacked away with the sawzall. I took some time off work and started at the project.

Once I got the roof structeral again I took the cab off of the frame to see what I had. The frame was in good shape and only 2 small cracks. I repaired the cracks. I then cut of alot of rivets to get the body mounts and running board mounts and all that jazz out of there. Next I went back at the cab. I marked out how far I wanted to drop the body. I decided on 14 inches. Cut the floor out!

The motor sitting in there is just a mock up motor the actual motor is at the machine shop getting bored. It is a 350 bored .040 over. Had to get a new crank old one was too far gone. The trans is a 3 speed. I am going to be working more on it this weekend so I will post up pics when I finished for the weekend. It is going to be 95 degrees today so not too much will probably get done.

2. Default

I got a bit more work done today, not much because it is hot as hell out. I got the passenger side step done and put the front floor brace in and started the drivers side step. I took a few better pics also of its stance.

nice start to your build. love them fender-less a.d's. there a few really nice ones on here. keep the pictures coming!

4. Default

I have not posted in a while, but have done some work. I have gotten my motor back from the machine shop, 350 bored .040 over. I got new flat top pistons and a new crank, all installed into the block. I got my vortec heads back from machine shop as well, they recieved a 3 angle valve job and new springs put in with reliefs cut to allow .550 lift. I got the fllor completed and burned in, and yesterday I got the firewall on and burned in. I also scrapped the stock frame cause I scored a 1972 c10 frame completely overhauled for 150. Sold the old frame for 200!

channeled 14"? wow. have you sat in the truck yet? Can't be much room left.

6. Default

No there isnt much room, I am gonna have to make my own seats, I am starting with some camaro buckts I have laying around. I can sit on the floor and if I sit with good posture my head touches the roof. I am gonna have back of the cab backed up about 3 inches higher than the front, this should allow the seats to recline back alot and still see out of the window! I was channeling for exterior apperence and after I was done its too late to go back now! Didnt wanna Z the frame so this was the only way I could get the cab LOW. I will pull it out of the garage and get some better pics.

Nice job on the the roof. Damn that's alot of channel. Not alot of room for anything. Keep um comin

I'd start looking at a set of bomber seats...

9. Default

I have a crew chief seat from a CH-53E I took off when we upgraded it to a crash attenuating seat, I will need another, but I am thinking that I may go in a different direction and make them from scratch!

10. Default

Sorry for no update in a while, I have been overseas! I left my rat with my neighbor for more bodywork. came home and ALL the pain has been stripped off, Kinda pissed. I am however pleased with the progress. I told him what I wanted as far as body work. He smoothed out the drivers side and cowl so it is flat no grooves or stepped in metal for the hood and fenders. I will snap some photos tomorrow and post. I hope that his progress picks up quickly, I want it back! I gave him a SBC I built in exchange for the work. In a few weeks I am going to fabricate the seats and the bed! Get the cab and bed mounted on the frame. We will see!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast