Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube Watch us on Google+
Register
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 31 Model A

Default 31 Model A

Here are my two door and four door straight from kansas. Got them in Saturday. All the pieces are there. I'm hoping to start later this week attaching all the panels of the two door. I have to get the Jeep CJ5 painted and get it out of the shop. Work before toys. I think I might have too many things going at once. This should be a fun one though.

Looks like a good start. What are your plans?

The two door will be chopped 5-6 inches and channeled. Either a nail head, flat head, or a hemi. Depends on what I can dig up. i know they are all around, but I'm looking for a good deal. I would really like to put a blower on which ever one I dig up. Replace the bad sheet metal hanging all around the bottom. I like the rusty look, but I think there's a difference between having a good looking rusty ride and a pos that's falling apart and unsafe to drive. 9" with a watts link, 4 link, and air bags in the rear. When you write it down it sounds like every other two door sedan around.
    The four door, not sure yet. I kind of like the idea of losing the two front doors and doing a similar chop and channel as the two door.

Rust looks good when it's not so deep into your metal that things are falling off. I had to do too much metalwork on my project to keep a rusty look.

I think the four door would look good with fenders, if you have them.

I don't have the fenders. Well, i have one that is smashed. That sounds like something to work with though. It would definately be different than most I've seen.

It'd look good without the fenders, too. I like fenders on four door A sedans more than on two doors. With the bullet holes, it made me think of a rat rod version of a mafia death car, fenders and boards but no hood and a big blower sticking out. Like a gangster's car that got a taste of a tommy gun.

Default progress

When I got the car, the sides were attached to each other with the steel bar that crosses the car at the B pillar. A rear panel was included with the car but not attached. My wife and I worked for a bit on Saturday to install the rear panel. Unfortunately it looks like the rear panel is off of a different model year. The curve is different and the body line is just a bit fatter on the rear than on the sides. I did manage to manipulate the panel to fit and look like it belongs there though. Progress is slow right now, but the Jeep is now painted and ready to be moved out of the way. So things should pick up very soon. Can any of you identify the rear panel year from the body lines? The pics show how the panel lined up before any modifications. I'll post the finished panel once I finish installing.

I made small cuts along the panel where the bolt holes are to reshape the curve and make it fit.

QUESTION: Are the ford steel wheels from the 40's and 50's much different than the ford steel wheels from the 70's and 80's where looks are concerned?

So the Jeep CJ is finally leaving the shop after some repainting and engine work. I can finally work on what I want to for a change. Last week I picked up a Ford 9" with less than adequate 2.75 gears and it's not a 5x5.5 like I was hoping. I can change the gears later and the plan I had for the wheels is out the window. I'm ordering parts today (spindles, kingpins, brake kit, splitting kit for the bones, sping, shackles, air bags). I have steel for the frame sitting in the shop I have ply wood wheels for mock up. I have a plan for the frame. I am ready to get this thing started!

I need to locate patch panels for the '31 tudor. Can anyone recommend a good place? I have found a couple of places when searching online, but a recommendation goes along way with me. I found mac's, snj, and snyder's antique auto. There's a huge difference in price from one site to the next.

As soon as work is over today, I will be in the shop with the welder.

Www.fordor.com

That's where I bought all my panels for my 29. Great product, fast shipping, and cheaper than anywhere else I found.....
    "All comfort has been sacrificed for style!!!"

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast