Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube Watch us on Google+
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Default good 220 mig tig welder?

I'm finally going to buy a welder I've always been a fan of miller welders I'm looking for a good 220 MIG/TIG welder ill be welding frames and some thick metal 1/2" and sometimes thicker ways some good welders to look into that will fit my needs I had a little 110 welder until it crapped out on me thing wasn't so good the thermal trip would always shut off the welder if I used it for long beads want one that won't do that so any input is appreciated

I bought a miller 212 and i think it's a great welder. I have used it on sheet metal and a truck frame i'm making with out any problems. It's made me a better welder.

Cool

Don't discount craigslist! Miller, Lincoln and Hobart are the top 3. I picked up a virtually brand new Hobart 220v off of CL with a full tank, spoolgun switch, roll of .035 and a spare gun for $700. They're out there!

4. Default

I was looking into the millermatic 252 seems like its exactly what I'm looking for wish I could find a used one I want to be able to weld 1/2 steel and atleast 3/8 aluminum I've been searching Craigslist if anyone has or knows of any in PA let me know

Hobart is a good welder,made by miller.Hobarts are cheaper because they dont have the fluff that miller has.Which is the auto setting features,dont work well.I have a small miller i have been using since 1992.http://midnightoilgarage.com

superior montana on 1.25 acres out of town

miller 252 is the one in my shop. The sawmill I work for went on an auction binge a while back.The bought several millers and a snapon. About 1/2 of them went to the shop as they did not work.The snapon(made by dayton) went in as well.It is in my area at the mill. I don't know how much they spent getting these "great deals" fixed.If you buy used... THE NEWER THE BETTER!

Quote Originally Posted by newbreed View Post
    Hobart is a good welder,made by miller.Hobarts are cheaper because they dont have the fluff that miller has.Which is the auto setting features,dont work well.I have a small miller i have been using since 1992.http://midnightoilgarage.com
    The reason Hobart is "cheaper" is because the use plastic parts such as the gear drives, wire tension wheels and levers, etc, etc. where as Miller uses metal/aluminum.

That doesn't make Hobart a bad or worse welder, it just makes it some what more affordable and caters to a different market/person. Personally I buy Miller just because it has the better parts, it may cost more up front, but it is less likely to wear out as fast.

I just ordered a Thermal Arc 181i. You can mig, tig and stick with it. The welding forums give it good reviews. You also get a free auto darkening helmet with it. I am looking forward to trying it out.

I have an old L-TEC (LTEC is ESAB before they changed names) Migmaster 250, works great and is always reliable.

I own a broken Hobart, Miller 210 and two Miller 252's. The digital welders have way more nuts than the 210. Love all three Millers, though. The 210 is easier to use on thinner stuff like 14 gauge exhaust. If you don't like to play with settings, the 210 is also easier to use. But beyond the robustness of the Miller over Hobart, the duty cycle is much better. The 210 will slow down after 15 minutes of continuous welding. The 252's are 100% duty cycle. The Hobarts get hot real quick, which sucks if your welder is making you a paycheck.

I had three Hobart 175's... bought a new one each year because they are such pieces of crap when used daily. As someone else mentioned, everything inside them is made of plastic. When you can buy a new Hobart for $600 at Tractor Supply, why spend $300 to replace the worn out liner inside the torch? After my third Hobart, I ponied up the $2200 for a Miller 252. But I weld almost every day. Had the 252's for over two years now and know they will last for many years to come.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last