Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube Watch us on Google+
Register

Default 1950 Truck on S-10 Frame ?

I have a 1950 Chevy truck and am thinking about using a S-10 frame as part of my restoration.
    Looking for opinions.
    I have a plasma cutter, welder and lots of time,
    please advise

Jathen,

There are a bunch of 1st Series/S-10 swaps...mine included on this site. If I can do it...anyone can. It's a blast...give it a shot. Post lots of pics and let the rest of us learn from your mistakes and victories.

Sean

It is defiantly common swap..I'm in the process of doing it right now. '48 onto '87 frame.

You can check out my build thread here..http://www.killbillet.com/showthread.php?t=32004

Quote Originally Posted by Jathen View Post
    I have a 1950 Chevy truck and am thinking about using a S-10 frame as part of my restoration.
    Looking for opinions.
    please advise
    Then why not build a frame and be different from everyone else ?? How's that for an option ??

For as long as I remember, I always wanted to be a gangster !!

Check out my profile -- everything's for sale --

As several others have said its a very easy/common swap. Plus parts are easily accessible, ie drop spindles etc. I'm working on one now, it's not much to look at yet but hopefully you'll be able to follow it and it can help you out some. http://killbillet.com/showthread.php?t=29471

Quote Originally Posted by Jathen View Post
    Looking for opinions.
    please advise
    If you don't have much money and you have lots of time and the skill to do the fab work, the S10 swap is certainly a good low budget option.

If you have the money and want to be done quicker with tons less work, do a Mustang II IFS kit.

I've done 2 s10 swaps now and 1 MII IFS install and I can tell you the MII method is a TON less work.

Also, depending on what state you are in, tagging a frame swap truck can turn into a headache in which case the MII swap would not have that problem. You might look into that situation in your state before you go too far on the S10 swap direction.