Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube Watch us on Google+
Register
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Lookin good.

Default Help Wiring!

Hey guys if any of you have ever used this wiring kit from Speedway Motors and have some tips.
    This would be a good time for them, this is my first car build from the frame up and I have never wired a car before.
    This kit was suppose to be the easiest to install but I am not seeing that.
    If anyone has tip or pointers Let me know.

Thanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wire.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	115.6 KB 
ID:	142189

Never installed a full wiring harness myself before last year. Now I have done 2. I guess the easiest way to do it is start at the front and work your way back. I start with hooking up the main battery cable to the starter, then the starter switch wire, then hook up the wires for the alternator, then connect the positive lead to the coil. At that point if you have it wired to the ignition switch - you can start the motor (or at least bump it over) There is a main wire that goes from the battery lead on the starter to the fuse block - this is your main power source for the wiring harness. In both of my projects I spliced in a 30 amp fuse. This way if I was to short out the harness because of stupidity it will blow the fuse and not begin to melt wire. After the engine harness, I moved on to the headlights and front turn signals. Then I move on to the cab for the gauges, switches, etc... then wire up the rear. I cap off all the wires I am not working on and that way I can check periodically to see if my work paid off - or I start smelling burnt wire followed by a pop of the 30 amp fuse.

Thanks for the info Torepdo, I have laid out the harness from front to back but haven't hook anything up just yet. I wanted to see what advise was add here so I did start hooking stuff up out of order. Once I get my battery I will start connecting thing from their, thanks for the advise. I like the fuse add-on you did I will defiantly use that idea on my setup as well.

Default Always something

I'm waiting for some part to come in before I start the wiring. Battery cable right now. I decided to install the gas pedal simple so I thought. I noticed that the gas pedal, once install was pushing not pulling when you push the pedal down. Great this is not what I remembered so now the pedal is not going to work with my six PAC setup. I had to redesign the linkage and arm to change it from push to pull. Sometimes nothing is easy, I could have just bought a pedal kit from speedway or OPG but I done have that kinda money so redesign was the only option. I had to cut the main link and move the connection up and towards the rear so that it would pull plus get a longer rod to the pedal. This pic is hard to see all the work but it is what it is. Wiring part should be here in the morning. Pic coming later can't insert it from my phone.

Name:	linkage carbs.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	143025

here that pic of the throttle linkage modification.
    Last edited by scopemycaddy; 02-20-2017 at 06:33 PM.

Default Air Management system Install

Sup guys got a little more done here. I still didn't get a battery yet but I found all the parts for my Air system so I installed that while I wait for my Battery. I had some time to work on the Caddy but I wanted to do the wiring but without the battery it seemed pointless. I found all the parts for the air system so It seemed to be a good time to install it. So I was able to put the tank in the rear fender well without any issues got to love those big caddy trunks. I bolted everything down using riv-nuts (Im sure they have some technical name but nuts installed with a rivet gun Riv-nuts) anyway I have two 200psi pumps and a three gallon tank. The solenoids came pre-assembled with a quick connect for all the wires that go to power and the switches. The two pump came with the relay and 150psi pressure switch install, all I had to do was connect the hoses to the tank and wire up some power, which I cant do because I still need a battery. Here are the pics.

Name:	Air system 1.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	142946

Pumps used steel lines to the tank and 3/8th line to the Manifold with crimp connectors.

Name:	Air system 2.jpg 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	142947

Manifold has 3/8th line to the air bags using Quick connects.

Name:	Air system 3.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	142948

This wheel well will hold the battery once it come in. Just throwing this together for now I will make it look nice once I start interior work and the stereo system install.

Default Battery Install and engine cranking

Had some time today to get a Battery and install the basic wires to crack the engine, Thanks to 40-Torepdo for the info on Wiring the starter first and adding the 30amp fuse before anything else. I have not blown the fuse yet but I still got a lot to wire up still. Here are some pics of the Battery and the first crank of the engine. Just getting excited to drive this caddy.

Name:	Battery wire.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	155.0 KB 
ID:	143026

Battery cable ran from the front threw the frame and into the spare tire well.

Name:	Battery 1.jpg 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	143027

Installed the battery ran some ground wires to the frame. Had to tap and bolt the ground I don't trust body mount for grounds.

Name:	Battery 2.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	104.2 KB 
ID:	143028

Wired up the starter and setup the ignition key. I do have a video of the cranking but I don't know how to upload it to this site. Looks like I have to Utube it first then make a link to it. Maybe later

You inspire me to get out and work on my 55 Caddy.
    keep up the good work!

Thanks layemlow,
    I'm doing what I can with the time I got. I'm still having issues with the engine. I cant get it to start!!!!! I don't get it. I got fuel, air and spark. Still not starting I check firing order, compression, and the dam timing. I got good spark and I cranked it with the plug out to see if the fuel and air would spit out the hole which it did all over my shirt. I'm tried more fuel less air, more air less fuel and even tried the choke with quick start spray. Looking for some advise here. The 6x2 setup I have is progressive so I'm just working with the two mains with secondary's off. I got the electric fuel pump at 4psi which should be plenty to get this to start. I see the fuel going in from the jets. so I don't think fuel is the issue. Ahh Crap. I need to get this figure out soon starting to miss going to shows. Let me know if anyone got some ideas.......

superior montana on 1.25 acres out of town

any backfire on cranking or just dead?

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast