Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube Watch us on Google+
Register
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Quote Originally Posted by 23dodges10 View Post
    any backfire on cranking or just dead?
    Its just cranks right now. I did get it to backfire when I turn the distributor to far around.

superior montana on 1.25 acres out of town

I have seen more than 1 v8 distributor 180 degrees out of time. If it even fires it will belch out the carb on firing on an open intake valve. Sure sounds like a timing issue to me too me. I have also had spark plugs so wet they wouldn't fire too.

Quote Originally Posted by 23dodges10 View Post
    I have seen more than 1 v8 distributor 180 degrees out of time. If it even fires it will belch out the carb on firing on an open intake valve. Sure sounds like a timing issue to me too me. I have also had spark plugs so wet they wouldn't fire too.
    Thanks for the info, I went to the shop and found top Dead Center by taking the valve cover off, the spark plug out and checking with the timing mark. I reset the cap and I got it to fire once but then when I let of the throttle it back fired but no flames. I did have to use some starter spray to get it to fire. I'm thinking I may need bigger jets and/or a timing light. I'm getting closer. It did sound nice for three seconds.

Default Third time the charm

Got to the shop determined to get the caddy running today. I had a couple of issues from last time I got it to fire which were a scraping sound and oil leak from the filter can. I found the lower pulley was on wrong had to reposition the lower pulley correctly because it was rubbing on the timing cover. I had it on so that it pushed out a rivet that was on the balancer. I hammered it back into place and installed the pulley correctly. The oil can was leaking from the nob on top I just made a new gasket and tighten the crap out of it and that was solved. I am going to try to put up the video of the caddy starting up I hope it works.

I also want to thank everyone who gave some advise here it helped a lot. I did have to get a timing light and actually read the installation info for the carbs to get the air\fuel mix correct. I had that way off. I will install the radiator next and find tune the carbs when my synchronizers get here.

Man, that sounds sweet. Nice work.

Scott A.

Quote Originally Posted by guitonit View Post
    Man, that sounds sweet. Nice work.

Scott A.
    Thanks Scott I'm moving on to the dash next.

Default Dash install

I got to work on the dash a few months ago and restored all the mechanical parts and did some wiring setup for the install. Today I was able to install the radiator for the motor and did some more fine tuning on the carbs. Then I pulled the dash out and got it ready for the install.

Here you can see I still have some more wiring to get out of the way. Dash lights connecting all these before it is mounted should help with the final wiring once it is installed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2419.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	105.2 KB 
ID:	143510

Installing this dash was a chore so if you have a Cadillac dash to install, get a buddy that thing is heavy and the mounting points are not to accessible. I did it myself but it took almost 3 hours. Keep in mind that the dash is designed to flow into the door panels and you will need to get all that aliened before tighten any of the ten bolts down.

Name:	IMG_2424.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	143511

Hard to get good pic in the low light but if you are going to install one of these I suggest start with the four bolts in the center but leave them loose until the adjustments are done on the sides other wise you may end up twisting the dash and having to start all over. Like me, its right because its done twice. LOL

Name:	IMG_2421.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	143512

The dash pad is not installed because the wires are easier to get to with it off. I will be doing my own interior and I will cover that later, much later.

nice work , glad you got the engine running.
    Engine sounds sweet.
    Keep up the good work !

Greetings

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910