Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube Watch us on Google+
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: 292 Y-block

Default 292 Y-block

Finally decided on my drivetrain. Brought home a 292 and a couple of T98 4 speed trannys this weekend. It's a '58 292 with ram horn manifolds which I believe were only offered in C series (cabover) Ford trucks from '60-'64. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong on the years of the ram horns. Has the good ECZ-G heads. Thing was sitting on the ground for god knows how many years. Haven't gotten it apart yet. But hopefully it'll not be in too bad of shape. Here's a picture.

Now the parts hunt. I've seen trip duece set ups and dual quads. I have a 4V intake in my garage. If you can find them, a set of T-bird covers would be sweet. Keep the progress going.

Mine came out of a 61 ford pickup, and had the weird exhaust that comes out the front and down in a loop from the manifold. The 2- 4s came from a 56t-bird 312. Fun little motor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	292.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	6624  

Y blocks are neat engines for a rod. They look good with some hop up goodies, and run well too. I see trips and stuff going pretty reasonably on ebay fairly often for them.

Don

Yeah i'm pretty excited to run a Y. Tossed around lot's of ideas in my head before settling on the Y. I have a fresh 460 with dove heads I could have used. Also have a 500 Caddy that I thought about, but used a 472 caddy in last vehicle I built. Thought about a flathead, but wanted more power, almost went the FE route. But I think what sealed the deal was looking at Boneheads sweet ride, seeing and hearing the sound of that Y on his video clip and I knew I had to have a Y.

I have a bid in ebay right now on a edelbrock 3x2 manifold that I hope I lose. Afer doing a bit of research, I found out the manifold I'm winning the bid on is for the smaller port Y block heads.

As for the t-bird covers, that is the plan. Still torn over using my ram horns and under car exhaust or lake pipes, or just open zoomies.

Will be lot's of time to decide as I'm still in part gathering mode.

If that is the one on Ebay @ $177 with 3 days to go, don't worry, there is lots of time left, and enough people are looking at it that you will be outbid, I bet.

Don

Don, yep that's the one. I just looked and it's at $177 and that is my max bid that I put in. So one more bid and I'm out :)

Yeah, someone will go past that for sure. Not a bad looking manifold though.

Don

These are my favorite Y-block valve covers. Vintage speed is re-popping them too. Makes me want to put a Y-block in something.

Those are sweet, no doubt.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last