Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube Watch us on Google+
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default suicide front end question

im mounting my 34 ford front axle suicide on my model a i split the wish bones and am gone take them off today or tomorrow. the question i have is when i take the wishbones off and mount them on the other side to so my tierod is out front do i need to switch the brakes from side to side also or will they work ok with the wheels turning the opposite way they use to.?

choppintops Guest

If you have disc brakes, no difference.

If you have drums, then most drum brakes actually have a "lead shoe" and a "trailing shoe". Work? yes. Optimal? No.
    Last edited by choppintops; 05-26-2010 at 09:57 PM. Reason: I spell like a botard.

stock drums. i guess im gona have to tear the locked up breaks apart and see what/if i need to change anything to get it to work correctly/safely. i need to run it like that to get my tie rod out front cuz it wont work any other way. id go discs but im poor and i lean more toward traditional looks

choppintops Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dragn91 View Post
    stock drums. i guess im gona have to tear the locked up breaks apart and see what/if i need to change anything to get it to work correctly/safely. i need to run it like that to get my tie rod out front cuz it wont work any other way. id go discs but im poor and i lean more toward traditional looks
    So you have mechanical brakes on it?

no juice drums i might be off a little on the axle year maybe it was a 35 or 36 i dont remember its stock with hydrolic drum brakes

choppintops Guest

Ford didn't put juice on till 37.

FYI when dealing locked up rusty old brakes, the wheel cylinders are probably shot and need to be replaced.

fords first vehicle factory with hydrolic brakes was 39 i just looked it up so i must have a newer axle than i thought i know they are hydrolic and stock and i plan to replace everything when the time comes cylinders springs shoes and new drums if these are to bad to get cut i just wana know if its safe to run these in the oposite direction than they use to. anyone got any picks of 39 ford brakes with the drums off?

im running a stock model a frame with the crossmember moved forward 1 inch and the front axle is actually gona run just in front of the stock frame horns with the sping connected to the split wishbones so i needed the steering arm that runs from spindal to spindal to be out front. i saw another person do it but they swapped the spindals from side to side i just tuned the whole axle around and put the wishbone on the other side and im gona swap the backing plates side to side so the brake line dont point forward but tecnically the brakes will still be backward from what they originally were. does anyone have a pik of a 39 ford front brake assembly with the drum pulled off?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last