Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube Watch us on Google+
Register

Default 1952 willys body swap??

I just purchased a 1952 Willys wagon, its missing the radiator, and gas tank, partially disassembled. I have done some research, some wagons have a gone to a K5 frame with engine and trans, others to a chevy S10 frame and drive train. should I find out wheater the original inline 6 engine works, or should I get a s10 and do a body swap? have anyone out there done this before? I like to keep it a two wheel drive so I can lower it. I will post some pics as soon as possible thanks for all the help. If I install a small chevy block should I get the adaptor for the willys tranny? or install the sbc with tranny?
    Last edited by Tony Ayala; 04-09-2010 at 01:23 PM.

I have a 51 Panel. It had a 327 when I got it. I looked into putting the body onto a diff frame, and the K5 is pretty close to the same wheelbase. I dont recall about frame rail width compared to the Jeep. I think the S10 was too much work to A)convert the frame to fit, and B) fit a V8 to the V6 platform. If you are intent on switching, I'd say find a good K5 and use that. Easier still may be to pull the 4 cyl and drop in an updated V8. I found a Buick 350 for mine. It happens to be 100 lbs lighter than a SBC.

Quote Originally Posted by Bat Rastard View Post
    I have a 51 Panel. It had a 327 when I got it. I looked into putting the body onto a diff frame, and the K5 is pretty close to the same wheelbase. I dont recall about frame rail width compared to the Jeep. I think the S10 was too much work to A)convert the frame to fit, and B) fit a V8 to the V6 platform. If you are intent on switching, I'd say find a good K5 and use that. Easier still may be to pull the 4 cyl and drop in an updated V8. I found a Buick 350 for mine. It happens to be 100 lbs lighter than a SBC.
    thanks Dave could I ask a few more questions? I like the idea of a V8 it already comes with an alternator, starter and its ready for 12 volts. My question is can i bolt a 350 directly to the willys tranny or do I use a GM tranny. and where can I get the engine mounts for the V8? once again Thanks.

Default why change frames ?

I/ve had a wagon, pickup , FC pug nose and still have the jeepster. the original jeepster frame was like the 40's chevies. thin metal , the truck had a c chanel frame, same contour for the floor. we put the 48 jeepster on a 78 blazer frame. a lot more work than a truck we saw at a show. . had to move the engine trans T case back 8 inches. new drive shafts, rework steering , clutch ,brakes. , find a new gastank , rework the floor.. etc. Stock brakes are minimal. in the 60's I used a ford wagon 9 in rear and put the ford wagon brakes on the front of the jeepster. Do you have large ford pickup or car bolt pattern. the jeepster originally had the cross leaaf suspension, some wagons used it, others used an I beam. . For a while the jeepster was on a jacked up 4 X 4 FC chassis With 350 still poor brakes.

I had a 50 wagon that I boxed the frame and 4 linked the front with coil springs and a 360. It was simple to box the frame and it was much easier than modifying a different frame.

Quote Originally Posted by timothale View Post
    I/ve had a wagon, pickup , FC pug nose and still have the jeepster. the original jeepster frame was like the 40's chevies. thin metal , the truck had a c chanel frame, same contour for the floor. we put the 48 jeepster on a 78 blazer frame. a lot more work than a truck we saw at a show. . had to move the engine trans T case back 8 inches. new drive shafts, rework steering , clutch ,brakes. , find a new gastank , rework the floor.. etc. Stock brakes are minimal. in the 60's I used a ford wagon 9 in rear and put the ford wagon brakes on the front of the jeepster. Do you have large ford pickup or car bolt pattern. the jeepster originally had the cross leaaf suspension, some wagons used it, others used an I beam. . For a while the jeepster was on a jacked up 4 X 4 FC chassis With 350 still poor brakes.
    thanks for the help I have plenty of tools but not a lot of experience working with cars, only basic mechanics. I will do the engine swap I was able to locate the tranny adaptors and engine mounts. again thanks.
    Last edited by Tony Ayala; 04-09-2010 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TBurnett View Post
    I had a 50 wagon that I boxed the frame and 4 linked the front with coil springs and a 360. It was simple to box the frame and it was much easier than modifying a different frame.
    Do you have any pics to share? did u used the wagons tranny? thanks.
    Last edited by Tony Ayala; 04-09-2010 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Ayala View Post
    thanks Dave could I ask a few more questions? I like the idea of a V8 it already comes with an alternator, starter and its ready for 12 volts. My question is can i bolt a 350 directly to the willys tranny or do I use a GM tranny. and where can I get the engine mounts for the V8? once again Thanks.
    Sorry, away for awhile. I think it would be a fluke if the SBC bolted to the Jeep trans without an adaptor plate. I am probably going to have to get a plate to put a Buick motor with a Chevy TH400 trans, or anything Chevy for that matter... I see you got mounts already, so do what they do on TV, and mock up the fit, weld in the mounts, then put that motor in there! If you are that close, I'm jealous. I need to do a bunch of cutting and welding of floors AFTER I pull the body off the frame. Who knows what I'll need to do to the frame/suspension/brakes, but I know it'll be more than minimal. What keeps me motivated is the fact that you almost never see these old Willys Jeep trucks and wagons and panels.

I will see if I can scan some pics, I didn't even try to use the old trans. I used the 360 with the 727 from the donor vehicle. I fabbed up a trans crossmember and motor mounts and it worked great.