Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube Watch us on Google+
Register

Default 32 bantam saved from scrap yard.

I have an old rat rod early ford frame 32 to 36 on that is a 32 austin bantam body. she is old rusty found no numbers. plan is to bring her back to life any info would be great. Historical documents needed.

American Austin, founded by Englishman Sir Herbert Austin in 1930, set up shop in Butler PA. Austins were styled much like a Model A with thin fenders and an exposed radiator. The 1100# cars rode on 18 inch wheels and a 75 inch wheelbase (16 inches shorter than the VW Beetle!). They were powered by a 14bhp engine and were produced through 1934.

American Bantam was the result of Roy S. Evans buying the dying American Austin in 1935. The main body changes were fuller rounded fenders and a rounded grille hiding the radiator, similar to a 38 Buick. The Bantams were produced from 1936 through 1941.

American Bantam won a contract to design what would become the WWII Army Jeep and produced approximately 2500 of what they called the Bantam Reconnaissance Car. The last one was built in December of 1941, the company then built torpedo motors, landing gear, and two wheel "jeep"trailers for the war. They continued with utility trailers until 1956.

Quote Originally Posted by gasman2 View Post
    I have an old rat rod early ford frame 32 to 36 on that is a 32 austin bantam body. she is old rusty found no numbers. plan is to bring her back to life any info would be great. Historical documents needed.
    Hey Gasman - just wondering, where abouts ya found it - Out in the Mohave desert ?

Default found 32 austin

I found the car in maryland it was partial payment for work on a 55 chevy truck. I believe he got it from somewhere in delaware some years ago. gasman2

Well which is it? an Austin or a Bantam?

How about a picture?

Default austin bantam

The car is from the american austin car co. In 1934 they went out of business and bantam took over. Most people at first sight call it a bantam. in the speedway catalog they have a fiberglass body of the 32 roadster and it is also called a bantam.

Here's my 33 American Austin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	026 - Copy.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	225.2 KB 
ID:	68179  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by OHEKK; 05-18-2011 at 04:53 AM.

Less history lesson more car. and bigger picture please