Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube Watch us on Google+
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Horn button?

Default Horn button?

I'm trying to figure out this stupid universal horn button. Where do the wires hook up? Do I unscrew the two screws and use a ring terminal and if so which screw is which or does it matter? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I can't find anything on it. Here are some pics of what I have...

Quote Originally Posted by kelseydum View Post
    I'm trying to figure out this stupid universal horn button. Where do the wires hook up? Do I unscrew the two screws and use a ring terminal and if so which screw is which or does it matter? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I can't find anything on it. Here are some pics of what I have...

all that switch is gonna do is cut off the ground, the circuit to your horn is always on but the horn button (either on the column or a switch like that) cuts off the ground, so when you push it the whole thing grounds out and wamo ur horn goes off, it doesnt matter how you hook it up just make sure one side goes to the ground on your frame, body, grounding block, etc. and the other goes to the ground on the horn

Thanks, I thought it was pretty cut and dry.

It's an easy thing to wire but contrary to Dugan's post, the horn is not always wired hot with the ground wire being switched, many cars ground the horn and switch the hot. I believe most even use a relay in the circuit.
    horn circuit with relay

Speaking of relays, did you figure out the turn signal/ hazzards, take a break from them or give up altogether? I've been thinkng about the hazzard circuit for a while now and it seems to require diodes no matter how it's done.

Quote Originally Posted by onebadblank View Post
    It's an easy thing to wire but contrary to Dugan's post, the horn is not always wired hot with the ground wire being switched, many cars ground the horn and switch the hot. I believe most even use a relay in the circuit.
    horn circuit with relay

Speaking of relays, did you figure out the turn signal/ hazzards, take a break from them or give up altogether? I've been thinkng about the hazzard circuit for a while now and it seems to require diodes no matter how it's done.
    90% of steering column horns are ground. the reg buttons like that one can be used either way

I got it figured out... I think. I got it all wired up but didn't have time to test it yet. Thanks for the replies.

I think I'm going to start another thread on making your own switch panel for accessories. I got one started but still not sure how it needs to be wired with the accessories I'm using.

Got a question, do you have any diagram for the wiring or relay for the horn button?? I bought an aftermarket button and unfortunately I do not know how to get it done. Thanks for any reply.
    Last edited by StephenC; 11-01-2010 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugan View Post
    all that switch is gonna do is cut off the ground, the circuit to your horn is always on but the horn button (either on the column or a switch like that) cuts off the ground, so when you push it the whole thing grounds out and wamo ur horn goes off, it doesnt matter how you hook it up just make sure one side goes to the ground on your frame, body, grounding block, etc. and the other goes to the ground on the horn .

I disagree. Like onebadblank said, most electric horns are already grounded by being bolted to the body or frame. You apply power to make it honk. Hot wire from fuse box to horn switch, to terminal on horn. close the switch to apply power.

why are those horn buttons so big and ugly

All the big trucks I have seen the "button" in the steering wheel grounds a relay and the relay sends voltage to the horn. The horn is ground to the frame.

Here is the common horn relay wiring.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Horn relay wiring.jpg 
Views:	530 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	60279

Hope you can enlarge and see ok. Hope this helps clear up horn wiring. Really simple to wire up a horn using a relay
    Last edited by Outlawracer; 11-04-2010 at 03:12 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last