Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube Watch us on Google+
Register

Thread: 27 chrysler

Default 27 chrysler

HI,
    My son and I are going to build a rod out of a 27 chrysler 4 door. The question I have is about the front axle. It has a 4" drop on it ( original solid axle ) but the spindles have no backing plate as the car had rear brakes only. Does anyone know if different spindles can be used on that axle?

thanks

Jim

im not rightly sure but drop axles are easy to find if not.

were abouts in alberta are you jimalberta?

Most Chryslers had front brakes except for the first few 1927 model 58 4 cyl cars. The backing plates were bolted to a flange just inside of the bearing seal. If your car has these it should be simple to put a more modern set up instead of the external band system, if not get a new axle and make a trailer with the old one.

Hi and thanks for the replies....I live in Lethbridge Alberta. And....I do have the early 4 cylinder car with no front brakes. I'm looking at a IH truck with a solid axle and has brakes...unless I can find spindles to fit the existing axle that has backing plates.

I had a plymouth with a double dip axle and the end of the axle was the same height of a model a (where the king pin goes through) so was told that the plymouth king pin was a little smaller than the ford so just have a machine shop machine the hole to fit the ford king pin.
    So, may just look into how close yours is to a ford.

ok I've been doing a little checking on this and I need to get an axle that has a proper spindle with a 5 bolt pattern that will handle brake drums at the very least with a possible upgrade to disc brakes....the car has front to rear leaf springs for suspension and they are very stiff as well as badly worn where they mount to the car. Interestlingly is they have no shocks. I dunno...I'm new to all this so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.....thanks....Jim

Update on this...I can get a model A front axle here or a solid axle from a early 50's chev or International truck for the same price...not sure which is the way to go.
    Would retaining the elliptical springs be more stable? Which would give me a better ride?

The model A axle I have has the original spindles still on and I also have a disc set up for the same axle and I think I still have some 40's backing plates which will work.
    Shocks on the front can be an easy job without too much expense.
    Call me
    Bob
    Last edited by EnglishBob; 02-03-2010 at 09:00 PM.
    No matter how many times I've tried I still can't rearrange 'Rat' to make it say Unsafe POS.

Hey Bob, I think the ford front end is the way to go ....then it will be easier to lower. I think the axle from a truck won't allow me to lower the car enough. I'll stop by on Monday and have a look at what you have.