Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube Watch us on Google+
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default How to make a Auto shifter

Just a little know how on how to make an Automatic shifter. You can make this for under $20. including the rod ends:cool: I have this on my 350 and you could make something simular for just about any trans. Just bolt on your shifter rod and you are all set. Don't spend the big Bucks for a shifter
    Last edited by Ol Skool; 05-14-2008 at 05:58 PM.

BRILLIANT!!! Let me buy you a Guiness!!
    I really like that!!!!!!!!!
    you should make a truckload of them and sell them at swap meets...seriously..
    No cable to snap on ya, either...
    all you need is a park lock gate and neutral safety switch somewhere for the faint of heart and legally anal (of which I am neither).

That looks like a very strong setup...

I decided to do the same sort of thing on my T to keep costs down when I was trying to build it for under $ 3000. Yours is much more straight forward than mine, because I didn't want to just trust the detents in the tranny to keep the shifter from popping or getting bumped into another gear, so I tried to incorporate some detents in the shifter too.

I finally scrapped the idea and bought a Lokar, but I did have a similar one to the one you built on a Bugeye Austin Healey I built in the '60's with a 289 Ford in it. That one worked ok, except that it had no neutral safety setup.

Here is the one I built and scrapped for the T. I like yours, it is much more simple.

Don
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shifter 3 006.jpg 
Views:	332 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	4943   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shifter 3 002.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	4944   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shifter 2 002.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	4945   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shifter 3 003.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	4946  

both exellent ideas im gonna do it for my th 400 and stop looking at the hurst shifter at autozone thanks

Default tale

I had a similar set up in my '70 nova, my girlfriend attempted to slide over over to my side of the car. She grabbed the shifter and pushed it into reverse at about 60. Slid the tires a good bit, shut the engine off, scared us both... kinda killed the mood. Just something to think about

that is an amazing idea

I HATE KILLN THE MOOD!!! lol love the shifter idea i agree with building them and selling them.

matt

what if you have a colum shifter on an automatic and you want to put in a floor shifter??? how do you make it all work out with the dash and such or do you not have to worry about that?

do you guys think you could lay out some plans for one of those? id really like to put one in my Impy just to mess with some ppl's minds out there..plus it would look bada$$

Page 1 of 2 12 Last