Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube Watch us on Google+
Register
Page 4 of 6 First ... 23456 Last

Cool sedan!

guys, how safe are the "suicide" front axle set ups ?
    seems not too safe, and was chatting with an old timers about his 1930 ford, which was factory suicide set up, and he said it is a weak link in the suspension.
    seems like it would want to body roll when going into a turn, because of the single central mount.
    just curious if any of you have ever had any problems with this set up over time ?
    thanks.

leonard

Thanks for all these pics! I'm in the middle of fabbing up my front end as well. Great ideas!

I've got to add some bracing to the spring mount and connect the springs to some trailing arms.

RPM, Ron Poe Motorsports, Ebay, NTBA, here--- sells plasma cut perches and bracketry for a low price, that wrap arount your crossmember and look good. I'd sure recomend buying one.

This center pearch is under all sorts of twisting/flexing movement, and is the focus of the whole weight of the front of the car--gotta be done right..

Best $40-50 you'll ever spend..

PA41

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyFastEddie View Post
    All transverse (side to side) springs are attached to the frame at one point (the top) . When done stock , the spring ends are attached to the axle with spring perches , which positions the spring over the axle . The top of the spring attaches to the frame by way of a cross member,which the top of the spring fits under and is bolted to it. The frame also has something called "horns,which stick out past the axle. If there is a failure of some kind , the frame can only drop down until the frame/horns land on the axle . When converting a stock frame to a suicide type front spring mount , you cut off the horns , replace the cross member with -usually- a round tube , make or buy a new suicide spring perch, which is welded to the tube and attach the spring to the new perch . Now if there is a failure of some kind the frame can/will drop to the pavement, at best causing lots of sparks and noise ( cool ) or at worst causing a violent crash which you DIE in ( not cool ). Seeing as how the crash was caused by an alteration YOU made your death would be a suicide, hence the name. It is entirely possible to make your car or truck as low as you want and as cool looking as you want , by zeeing the frame and skiping the suicide attachment. Hope this helps you out. LFE When properly positioned your shocks will minimise the side to side roll .
    wow eddie, thanks for the very detailed info... now i know... yea, it sounds like suicide to me running it without the frame horns... just in case.

leonard

Here ya go.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails front.jpg   side2.jpg  

I see a couple guys using tubular front axles. Is this one from speedway or did you make it yourself? If so got any pics of where the kingpin goes thru it? And what did you use for material on that area? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RATRODKING View Post
    wow eddie, thanks for the very detailed info... now i know... yea, it sounds like suicide to me running it without the frame horns... just in case.

leonard
    thats how i feel to mate.. i like the look of frame horns to.

Considering the weight we are putting on frames nowadays, having a suspension failure so severe that your axle hits the bottom of the frame will be the least of your problems. They were "suicide" at that point in history but with advances in technology and fabrication I don't see that being an issue now, unless you are a real crappy welder.

Quote Originally Posted by tin basher View Post
    thats how i feel to mate.. i like the look of frame horns to.

and all this time i never knew what those frame horns were for. LOL.
    learn something new every day... thanks..

leonard

Page 4 of 6 First ... 23456 Last