Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube Watch us on Google+
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    porkchop4464 Guest

Default Welding Grade 8 bolts nuts to 1/4 plate?

I am wondering if it's Okay to weld grade 8 bolts to plate steel for a bracket? I only ask because I was thinking that there might be trouble between the different tensil strentghs of the two metals, but weld is weld, still would work, right? I was thinking that when you buy bungs to weld in for rod ends, they are high tensil too right? So why couldn't you weld a bolt to plate? Any comments or suggestions please ?

I'm certainly not a metallurgist, but I don't see why not. we have all welded grade 5's I'm sure. i don't think grade 8's have that much of a different make up.

sgs

Should work fine I have done it many times.

The short answer is yes you can.

yes,

jusy let cool by itself when done

When I weld a nut on the back of a plate I just weld it on a couple of flats to hold it in place. I also do it with a spare bolt installed so the nut is pulled down tight against the plate. Don't know that it matters but that way you are sure you don't damage the bolt you are going to use.

Its fine. I have even lightly brushed the coating off to get it down to bare steel and it still worked great. Just try and weld as much of the area of the bolt that you can (drill a hold through the plate and run part of the bolt through and weld the back side too if possible)

works fine. If you have access to a small lathe machine a inner shoulder to the nut so it is centered in the hole you drilled.

You can - just don't expect the bolt to be Grade 8 anymore. You will change its heat treat.

Quote Originally Posted by RacerRick View Post
    You can - just don't expect the bolt to be Grade 8 anymore. You will change its heat treat.
    This is the answer

Page 1 of 2 12 Last