Announcement

Collapse

New Potential Members Please READ THIS!!!!!!

Attention new potential members!!
We have many new users register daily, and it can be very difficult to tell between the spam bots and real people. All approvals are done first thing in the mornings Pacific time Monday through Friday. If you have trouble registering or have any questions feel free to e-mail me at admin@killbillet.com.

Enjoy the forum!

Admin
See more
See less

How to accelerate "patina" (I want something to rust QUICKER!)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to accelerate "patina" (I want something to rust QUICKER!)

My 49 Dodge truck was missing one cab clearance light from atop the roof when I bought it, and the replacement that I found was in much better shape than the other two. I tried sandblasting the metal shell and then dropping it into a 5 gallon bucket of water, and even added some salt to the water to try to make it rust a little faster. It's got that orange-y colored slime on it now, but I need this thing to RUST more quickly. The rest of the truck is almost done, and I want to hit some events pretty soon. Any ideas??? Thanks!

Bleach will add some nice patina, not sure on rust but it will blacken the metal and fade paint, im sure it rusts it a little.

Comment

Check this thread out. http://www.killbillet.com/showthread...ghlight=patina

Comment

Originally posted by Yellowrr View Post
        My 49 Dodge truck was missing one cab clearance light from atop the roof when I bought it, and the replacement that I found was in much better shape than the other two. I tried sandblasting the metal shell and then dropping it into a 5 gallon bucket of water, and even added some salt to the water to try to make it rust a little faster. It's got that orange-y colored slime on it now, but I need this thing to RUST more quickly. The rest of the truck is almost done, and I want to hit some events pretty soon. Any ideas??? Thanks!
        My girl has the formula down better than I, she is a master at rusting metal.....

Anyway, if my memory serves, you need the following items, salt, muratic acid, white vinager, hydrogen pyoxide.

It's the steps I may not have correct.

1. Hit it with the Acid, let it rest a bit
        2. Hit it with the Salt water mixture, let it rest
        3. Hit it with the Hydrogen Pyoxide and watch what happens....

But like I said, she has the process down, and I just would ask her..... so I don't remember where we used the Vingager

Here is a before...

And after ....

Comment

Wow! Rusty, please get us the exact directions if she has it down pat, there is no need to re-invent the wheel if you already got the blueprint! I need to get my patch panels around the bottom of my coupe rusted in soon so that I can clear the whole body and seal it.
          Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by TNTcoupe View Post
            Wow! Rusty, please get us the exact directions if she has it down pat, there is no need to re-invent the wheel if you already got the blueprint! I need to get my patch panels around the bottom of my coupe rusted in soon so that I can clear the whole body and seal it.
            Thanks in advance.
            Okay, here is the order of the process.

1. Clean the metal if you are worried about uneven treatment with some type of degreaser, methyl ethyl ketone, something like that.

2. Hit the metal with some of the Muriatic Acid, you can dilute it a bit with distilled water if you want. We just used a cheap spray bottle to apply it. We waited for a few hours for the next step

3. Spray the metal with the vinegar, get a good coating, I think we did this step at least two maybe three times before step 4.

4. Rinse off the acid and spray on the sea salt water mix.

5. Spray the now salted surface with the hydrogen peroxide or a mix of the perioxide with a bit of vinegar. think an 8 to 1 mix, or 16oz of perioxide to 2 oz of vinegar.

It's really cool to watch the metal turn and foam while it rusts.

If it doesn't do much you didn't get the acid etch or degreased enough at the begining. If it does turn and you want more rust or color, don't hit it with the acid or vinegar that will just remove the rust you did.

Keep repeating steps 4 and 5 till you are happy with the looks.

In our case the only part I did clear was passenger seat but not the drivers, tunnel or anything else. I did get some rust rubbed off for a bit, but that hasn't been a problem for a long time since.

Here are some shots I forgot I had when we were doing the treatment to the interior.

Comment

Originally posted by TNTcoupe View Post
              Thanks in advance.
              One warning about those patch panels, doubtful that they will rust the same tone as the rest of the body. The tone is just different.

For example my friends car (He used this method to rust his panels, and those wheels)

Comment

Thanks Rusty! As soon as I get my air ride and interior sheetmetal finished I'm gonna do all my patches on the outside of the body.

Comment

Awesome, thank you! I LIKE your results!!!

Going to give it a try over the weekend!!!

Comment

Tastes Like Chicken

I've had pretty good luck with a BBQ grill. My shiny zinc plated tailgate chains were black and installed within 15 minutes. I bet if you basted with one of those rust concoctions you could quickly have a rust finish.

Comment

if you dissolve some copper in the muratic acid it gives you a nice green mossy look when you spray it on.

Comment

This is hands down the coolest thing I have read on here so far. The more time I spend on here, The more I learn that this place is a HUGE wealth of knowledge. I'm just grateful there is a resource out there for young know-nothings like me :p, Thank you KillBillies.

-Noah
                        You can't argue with the stupid, they will only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Thanks for the step-by-step process.. This should help more than a few people!

Comment

You may not need all that. I spayed muratic acid on some old rusty wheels to remove some rust. They looked good.. But....
                            I forgot to rinse one of them off really good and the rust was back the next day.(clean rust, not scaley like before I did it)..
                            'NamVet
                            'Seabees'
                            "CANDO"
                            DAV.

Comment

Here's something you guys need to know about Muratic Acid. First let me tell ya, I'm a metal sculptor/artsit and I use Muratic Acid & Copper sulfate for rust patinas alot.
                              The thing you need to know is Muratic Acid can't be just rinsed away. What I mean is, it will keep RUSTING and WILL distroy the metal it is applied to, over time. Also the climate you are in will have an effect on the speed of rusting.
                              You gotta neutralize with baking soda water mix, and sometimes that doesn't work.
                              It's kinda hit or miss. Just something to consider before spraying that the stuff.
                              Here's the best way to get a rust patina, either sand blast the steel if you can, if you can't, clean the steel with a good degreaser and spray with vinegar. Let the steel dry then just simply spray the steel with your garden hose. Everytime it dries, spray again and the rust will be awsome.

Comment

Working...
                              X