Announcement

Collapse

New Potential Members Please READ THIS!!!!!!

Attention new potential members!!
We have many new users register daily, and it can be very difficult to tell between the spam bots and real people. All approvals are done first thing in the mornings Pacific time Monday through Friday. If you have trouble registering or have any questions feel free to e-mail me at admin@killbillet.com.

Enjoy the forum!

Admin
See more
See less

Custom Glass for a chop top?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Glass for a chop top?

Just trying to plan ahead. If I chop the top I'm thinking that I can handle the door and rear windows by recessing them, but the windshield will be a different story. Will I need to get some custom glass made? Any resources on this kind of thing? I haven't got my vehicle yet but I'm planning on a 37 Chevy PU. Any suggestions?

-Troy
    In the land of OZ There's No Place Like 120mph!!

You should have good luck just going to a automotive glass shop and telling them what u need. you may even take the truck there and they could fit it up. its usually fairly inexpensive for the glass and gives it a nicer look
    If you build them, they will come.

Comment

Thanks! I wasn't sure if it would be that easy.
      In the land of OZ There's No Place Like 120mph!!

Comment

Yea no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by kibler18 View Post
          You should have good luck just going to a automotive glass shop and telling them what u need. you may even take the truck there and they could fit it up. its usually fairly inexpensive for the glass and gives it a nicer look
          Orrr .. sometimes they come to you!
          ... what in the world ever became of sweet jane? ...

Comment

straight glass is not a problem BUT curved glass can be costly or very costly. It is cut at your problem if it breaks, ask me how I know. Ed ke6bnl
            Ed G
            70 miles N.E. of Los Angeles
            Agua Dulce, Ca

Ed
            1949 Ford F1 stocker, V8 flatty
            1950 Ford F1 pu street rod
            1948 Ford F3 pu project
            1953 Chevy 3100 AD project to put on my 1985 S10 longbed pu (frame)
            1972 El Camino chopped
            1953 Mercury Wagon project vehicle
            1998.5 4x4 Dodge diesel. rv injector, leveling kit, DTT trans, hummer tire and wheel, Doug Thuren track bar, etcl.

Comment

Yep, custom glass (curved) can be VERY expensive. I've heard numbers like $ 2500 to $ 5000 for a windshield :eek: and if it breaks, you still own it. That may be the extreme, and better deals might be out there, but it is still tough. There are only a limited number of people who will touch it, and the average glass shop only wants to do stock type stuff.

This is one reason I only do old rods with flat glass. :D

Don

Comment

yea. you can usually find a rest company that deals in your vehicle to and if they make the glass to fit it its usually pretty reasonable too.

Comment

Make sure they use the safety(plastic in glass) for the windshields...around here its been a safety thing you can get a ticket for. It will be ingraved in the glass.
                  Curved windsheild are not to bad around here...you have to buy 3 winshields. My guy has been great only broke 1. But it a heck of and art.

Comment

Here is a pic of my stosk windshield frame against the chopped windshield. Glass man stopped by and said just bring him the chopped frame and he will fix us up. Tomorrow we cut it get it welded and glassed up.
                    Attached Files

Comment

FastFreddie I like your chop, did you weld the top part of the door frame to the cab, and leave the doors frame less when you open them. I was thinking of doing that on my 40 Chevy :cool:

39 Chevy PU:cool:
                      40 Chevy PU
                      46 International PU
                      46 Chevy PU
                      Rolling Chassis
                      67 Camero

Comment

Yes OLSkool the top of the door frame stays with the cab , right now its bolted not welded. I did it that way because I want to be a roadster and run with the top off. Did not want to weld it till Im sure it will work. There are two draw backs , you cant open the door with the window up and you cant leave the truck with the windows up. In the front the cut is even wiyh the top of the aApiller cut and in the back even with the cab seam
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by fastfreddie; 02-06-2007, 06:17 PM. Reason: added info

Comment

The guys on the **** board turned me onto a trick that I'll be attempting very shortly on my own '67 Ford F100 choptop project. Supposedly, you can use a water-cooled tile saw to trim curved glass. Several have tried it and had success, so I recently picked one up to start practicing. I've got several windshields to practice on to get the hang of things.

Here's a link to the **** thread:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=141657

...and here's a picture of the new tile saw, picked up at the local Lowe's for about $80:

Keith
                          FORDification.com - The '67-'72 Ford Pickup Resource

Comment

Man if that works it will revolutionise the chop world. Keep us informed please.

Comment

Originally posted by fastfreddie View Post
                              Yes OLSkool the top of the door frame stays with the cab , right now its bolted not welded. I did it that way because I want to be a roadster and run with the top off. Did not want to weld it till Im sure it will work. There are two draw backs , you cant open the door with the window up and you cant leave the truck with the windows up.
                              Just a thought, if you went with power windows, you could roll them up with a remote when you got out. (Don't hit me if that's too high tech for you!:D )

Comment

Working...
                              X