Announcement

Collapse

New Potential Members Please READ THIS!!!!!!

Attention new potential members!!
We have many new users register daily, and it can be very difficult to tell between the spam bots and real people. All approvals are done first thing in the mornings Pacific time Monday through Friday. If you have trouble registering or have any questions feel free to e-mail me at admin@killbillet.com.

Enjoy the forum!

Admin
See more
See less

68 ford f100 short bed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 68 ford f100 short bed

I couldn't resist buying this cool 68 short bed. It has the original paint complete with dents and surface rust. I think the body is pretty good except the bottom of the truck bed is pretty much rusted out. I guess I'd like to simply keep the truck in the condition it is in except the rust holes in the bed. I don't know if it qualifies as a rat rod but I know I'm going to have fun driving it! It has the inline six and three speed column shift.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2275/...162adde1f9.jpg

Perhaps with this as my daily driver I can think of some cool things to do with the 71 longbed. It has the 360 v8 with a few performance upgrades like a cam and intake.

Dan

That looks like the one I had. To hell with the long bed do this one nice. I got a left nut I'd give you for it.

Comment

I took some more pics of my truck today. I put in an old horn and installed a bumper. I also got a rearview mirror for it. I'm getting it ready for inspection. I still need an air cleaner 'cause it ain't got one. :confused:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dolinic...7602834513774/

Dan

Comment

i like those inline six's, there not to bad to work on

Comment

looking good. the floor is a lil swiss cheesey but you can fix that pretty easy. good score.

Arin
          Arin

Comment

Personally I would keep the 6. Got one in my 63 f100 that I have been depending on for almost 6 years now. Never a real problem. Good on gas too. I drive all over town for 2 weeks on 15 gls. Drove to kansas and back from colo springs over 150 one way and only filled up once. Would give you a better mileage approx but the speedo gear in the trans is nylon and stripped and haven't fixed it still. You can find parts for those cheap. Even E-gay has parts like 4 barrell intakes and what not. My vote is to keep it. Sweet truck either way. Good luck with it.
            Hellbounders CC Prez.

Comment

thats a kool looking truck man i dig it, lol at the bed floor... wow that thing is done! good luck with it man.
              Saints & Sinners CC

shop space.
              myspace.com/phantomworks53

Comment

Hey thanks for the comments on my new 68. I think it is cool. The more I drive it the more I like it. I am anxious to see what the gas mileage is like. That carb looks even smaller than the one on my '74 Nova's 250. I aired up the old tires and rotated the fat ones to the rear and also glued the rearview mirror on today.

The previous owner also owns a body shop or at least manages one. He mentioned cutting out the bed floor and welding in a new one. Would that be the way to go on fixing the floor? What about something cheaper just to get by for now? Maybe some 1/2" or 3/4" plywood? I don't have a good place to park the truck yet to keep it out of the sun, rain, and bird poop. I was thinking of a sort of 'lean to' carport attached to the rear apartment behind my house.

Dan

Comment

Unless you plan on hauling **** I wouldn't. Besides. It would be easier to fix it right. You might be able to find a whole bed at a good price. here in CO they are cheap ($200) for a whole bed if you know who to call. The plywood will begin to wrinkle up on the edges thus pissing you off. Or at least it did me...
                  Hellbounders CC Prez.

Comment

i cant imagine a whole donor bed or bed floor replacement panel to be too expensive probably around $200-$300
                    Saints & Sinners CC

shop space.
                    myspace.com/phantomworks53

Comment

I just laid a 4x8 sheet of 1/2 inch plywood so I can throw stuff in the back without worrying about it. I need to haul some construction trash and some barrels and small trees this week. I already hauled some asphalt chunks for my uncle without the plywood but we set them in the back part of the bed which isn't full of holes like the front. I'll start looking around for a replacement bed. To me that sounds the easiest.

Dan

Comment

well I've owned the truck a week and I have already put 500 miles on it. I got a set of used tires today. I don't have to worry about those old dry rotted ones anymore. I also picked up the fourth wheel. The previous owner had to go find it. The truck only had three matching wheels when I got it. It runs good but after getting off from the highway I hear a little noise and I worry about it.

Also, how can you tell if the clutch is going out? The pedal goes almost to the floor before I can feel the clutch disengage and there is only a little bit of travel left before the pedal hits the floor. It was especially annoying today when I got stuck in bumper to bumper traffic. I just felt like pulling over or driving over the grass to the access road but didn't. I guess I might be driving it a little hard for a 40 year old truck I just bought. I hauled some trees and water barrels out to my property and drove through a field which was pretty bumpy.

Dan

Comment

Nice pick-up . I'd feel it out a bit before you over-do it - don't wanna get stranded , lol ! Although , if you've already put 500 miles on 'er , I guess you can keep on goin' ! As others have said , I'd fix the bed with a donor floor or something like that . It's not much harder to fix it right , than to throw a plywood sheet in there & bolt it down .

My brother had a '66 shortbed Custom Cab for a while - I thought that truck was the s**t !

Comment

Originally posted by Buddy Palumbo View Post
                            Nice pick-up . I'd feel it out a bit before you over-do it - don't wanna get stranded , lol ! Although , if you've already put 500 miles on 'er , I guess you can keep on goin' ! As others have said , I'd fix the bed with a donor floor or something like that . It's not much harder to fix it right , than to throw a plywood sheet in there & bolt it down .

My brother had a '66 shortbed Custom Cab for a while - I thought that truck was the s**t !
                            I have been lucky. The truck actually broke down twice already. The first time was sort of my fault. I knew it was missing a bolt in the steering coupling but just kept driving it. The other bolt fell out in the field and I had no steering. Luckily I found two bolts laying in the inner fender which worked for a temporary fix. Yesterday we drove the truck over 100 miles and hauled 55 gallons of water and a six foot picnic table made of 2x6 lumber. The truck made it home fine but this morning simply would not start. I thought I had run out of gas. I replaced the fuel pump and It's back to normal. In hindsight I do remember it kind of hesitating or missing while cruising on the highway especially going up a slight hill. It was not that pronounced but I noticed it.

I took the carb off too while trying to troubleshoot the problem. the gasket on the bottom was leaking pretty bad. I noticed this when I poured a little gas in the carb. Maybe the whole carb needs rebuilt. I got a kit for it but I don't think I'd attempt it myself. Maybe. Today was the first time i have ever removed a carburetor or fuel pump. That truck could have sat for days without running.

I think If I get my old truck running (it's a '71 longbed with 360 v8) then I'll abuse it instead of this little one. Then maybe I can start pampering her and begin fixing her up. The bed will be one of the first things I suppose that needs to be done. I cleaned the windows today on the '68. Wow I can actually see out now!

Dan

Comment

I have a bed with a better floor you can have if you're anywhere close.
                              ....................................____
                              .................__________|___\____
                              ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)____|____/_(O)|

Comment

Working...
                              X