Announcement

Collapse

New Potential Members Please READ THIS!!!!!!

Attention new potential members!!
We have many new users register daily, and it can be very difficult to tell between the spam bots and real people. All approvals are done first thing in the mornings Pacific time Monday through Friday. If you have trouble registering or have any questions feel free to e-mail me at admin@killbillet.com.

Enjoy the forum!

Admin
See more
See less

Welding Grade 8 bolts nuts to 1/4 plate?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding Grade 8 bolts nuts to 1/4 plate?

I am wondering if it's Okay to weld grade 8 bolts to plate steel for a bracket? I only ask because I was thinking that there might be trouble between the different tensil strentghs of the two metals, but weld is weld, still would work, right? I was thinking that when you buy bungs to weld in for rod ends, they are high tensil too right? So why couldn't you weld a bolt to plate? Any comments or suggestions please ?

I'm certainly not a metallurgist, but I don't see why not. we have all welded grade 5's I'm sure. i don't think grade 8's have that much of a different make up.

sgs

Comment

Should work fine I have done it many times.

Comment

The short answer is yes you can.
        "Friends don't let friends use billet."

Comment

yes,

jusy let cool by itself when done

Comment

When I weld a nut on the back of a plate I just weld it on a couple of flats to hold it in place. I also do it with a spare bolt installed so the nut is pulled down tight against the plate. Don't know that it matters but that way you are sure you don't damage the bolt you are going to use.

Comment

Its fine. I have even lightly brushed the coating off to get it down to bare steel and it still worked great. Just try and weld as much of the area of the bolt that you can (drill a hold through the plate and run part of the bolt through and weld the back side too if possible)
              37 Ford Chopped Hot Rod Pick Up

Comment

works fine. If you have access to a small lathe machine a inner shoulder to the nut so it is centered in the hole you drilled.
                Old and Low is the Way to Go!

Reverend_Grimm13 is my Hero!

Comment

You can - just don't expect the bolt to be Grade 8 anymore. You will change its heat treat.

Comment

Originally posted by RacerRick View Post
                    You can - just don't expect the bolt to be Grade 8 anymore. You will change its heat treat.
                    This is the answer

Comment

Originally posted by onebadblank View Post
                      This is the answer
                      But not by much it won't, it's still better than a lower grade bolt.
                      "Friends don't let friends use billet."

Comment

Working...
                      X