Announcement

Collapse

New Potential Members Please READ THIS!!!!!!

Attention new potential members!!
We have many new users register daily, and it can be very difficult to tell between the spam bots and real people. All approvals are done first thing in the mornings Pacific time Monday through Friday. If you have trouble registering or have any questions feel free to e-mail me at admin@killbillet.com.

Enjoy the forum!

Admin
See more
See less

39 Chevy cab meets Samurai frame??????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 39 Chevy cab meets Samurai frame??????

O.K here we go......... I played with a few Samurai and during that time...I realized that they had 2x4 rectangular tubing frame. So when I started building my truck, I located a frame from a friend and started cutting off everything that I didn't need. I also figured out that if I reverse the bottom spring plates on the rearend, I could move the rearend back 6 1/2" and move the shocks from the back to the front keeping the same attachment points. I also installed a mid 90's S-10 4X4 rearend. (I even added the free swaybar that came with it) And used monroe 5752 shocks (for VW split window....I think) I am now getting the parts together to do a "Zipper" style quarter elliptical frontend that will extend the axle 12" to 16" out past the end af the frame. Overall wheelbase should be very close to 115".

Last edited by Rumbler; 07-07-2009, 08:43 PM. Reason: mis-spelling
    sigpic

so i take it your front axle is gonna be infront of the frame?

Comment

Yeah, I'll attach the springs (cut down trailer leaf springs) to the bottom of the frame and shackle them to the axle. Then hold everything in place with split wishbones.
      sigpic

Comment

This picture has the axle and wishbones in it.

sigpic

Comment

very interested in this build keep us posted on your progress

Comment

I will......although it may drag out a while..........................I'm looking at front springs to cut down and then I'll have to drop some cash on spindles, brake adapter kit, steering components, etc..
            sigpic

Comment

cool man, what are the headers off of?

Comment

I got them at a swap meet, they are supposed to be early chevy II fenderwell headers and they are HOOKERS!
                sigpic

Comment

Here are a couple of frontend mockup pics, the garage is a little dark........

As it sets, it measures about 118" wheelbase!! Sweeet!
                  sigpic

Comment

Are you going to leave that front axle hanging way out from the front of the frame like that?
                    George

Comment

Yeah, I'm doing two quarter elliptical springs off of each side of the frame, then shackles to the axle. This is similar to the setup I am building.

Last edited by Rumbler; 07-09-2009, 07:27 PM. Reason: added pictures
                      sigpic

Comment

that is a really good idea for the frame, it takes out the need ofr a Z because it has 2! haha nice man
                        there are only two seasons in indiana, winter, and construction.

http://www.myspace.com/blackxtuesday

Comment

Thanks, I'll have my front springs Tuesday........thinkin' about ordering some frontend parts from Speedway in the next couple of days too. Maybe I'll have some updated pics around the end of next week.
                          sigpic

Comment

Well, since I am waiting for the springs to actually mockup the frontend. I went ahead and did some cutting on my cab......then sat it on this afternoon.

I have decided that I will not chop the cab on this build. I think I can make it look great with the visor, and if not....... can chop it later!

I believe the truck will squat at least 2 more inches when it has some weight on it, that will put it at a decent ride height. I plan to drive this thing EVERYWHERE!

Notice how far up I notched the back of the cab to get the right stance.
                            sigpic

Comment

This is another reason that I used the Samurai frame, with just a bit of trimming on the mount pads of the cab, the frame sits perfectly between them.

This picture below shows how the cab sits over the frame and the cutting that I did to get it sitting square.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X