PDA

View Full Version : how to channel ?

swe_ratrod
11-12-2006, 02:37 PM
can someone show me the basics of channeling a 30's coupe?

hillbillychopper
11-12-2006, 04:37 PM
I channeled my Model a by removing the floor and all the cross members then I welded angle iron 6 inch down to form a new frame to install the floor

Hope this helps you I know there are better ways to do this but I had the metal laying around :rolleyes:

donsrods
11-15-2006, 09:03 PM
The most basic way, and how we did it in the old days, was to simply cut out the entire perimeter of the floor, and let the body drop down over the frame rails. Once we got it to the desired amount of drop, we welded in more steel to fill the gap between the floor and the body. We were a little crude in our workmanship back then, and we used a cutting torch most times to cut the floor loose from the body.

You have to envision that the body is only held up on the frame by the floor, so if you cut away the entire edge of the floor, the body has nothing to hold it in place, so it drops over the frame. So now the body is straddling the frame rails, rather than sitting atop them.

This is a simplistic description of how it is done, because you still have to cut out a section of firewall in an amount that corresponds with the amount of channel, and a few other clearance issues, but basically, that is it.

Don

Nash
12-21-2006, 03:52 PM
One thing to keep in mind, I still do it Dons way, but keep checking head room as you go. Many times I still get carried away, and have to look for real low seats and removing the rails off the bottom. Remember your steering cloumn angle will change,may have to remove some of the dash. Also remember pedal location etc. etc.It is the little things that kill you.But once you are done you will love it.Hope this helps. Post pics as you go, let us see them, any problems let us know, and hopefully we can talk you thru them.

Ruzt Pilotz

32half8
12-21-2006, 10:51 PM
yeah ive just finished my 5" channel and gonna do a 6" chop that leaves 2" till i hit my head with the stock seat on the floor board instead of on the gas tank

maddog
12-21-2006, 11:40 PM
You guys make me jealous. I wanna channel somethin.

seems simple enough. Nash says its the little things that will kill ya. Aint that the truth. The devil is in the details ........... (luckily, so is God).

Jim

thunder1
01-04-2007, 11:10 PM
Channeling Pictures:

http://www.thecheatersgang.com/Pychannel.htm

No text to walk you through it but here's a link to a descent set of pictures demonstrating channeling on an older Ford pickup. These shots show basically the same technique Don mentioned in one of his previous posts.

thunder1
01-04-2007, 11:53 PM
Channeling Pictures: The finished truck

Here's a link to the pictures of the Ford Pickup channeling project from my previous post. It's too sanitary for me but still a nice truck none the less.

http://www.thecheatersgang.com/PYnew.htm

32half8
01-05-2007, 11:41 PM
thats not a 34 id say its from the 20's not positive on the exact year but its not a 34 its older then that

i have a 32 and did it a bit different then you, but hey theres more then one way to skin a cat right. the end result looks great, i cant wait till i finish mine

chop509
01-05-2007, 11:49 PM
Channeling Pictures: The finished truck

Here's a link to the pictures of the 34 Ford Pickup channeling project from my previous post. It's too sanitary for me but still a nice truck none the less.

http://www.thecheatersgang.com/PYnew.htm

Not to sano for me. That thing is bitchen!!

Jeff

kibler18
01-08-2007, 09:02 PM
Horsepower tv just aired a segment on rat rods. 1st getting the body. (way to easy for them) then the second building a frame and fitting the body. They channel the body and show you how they did it. Takes a little longer but it looks like it came out really nice. If you have itunes you can download it, if not look on amazon for the episodes.