PDA

View Full Version : 35 ford pick up questions

cbn70
10-10-2007, 07:57 AM
Hi,
I am new to all of this, and have a few questions. I have a 35 ford pick up that I want to build into a rat rod. The frame is pretty rotten under the cab. what is the best thing to do with this?? Try and repair, or buy a new set of frame rails?? Or just build my own with 3x2 square tubing?? I would also like a nice raked stance on it. What is the best way to do this? Use a dropped front axle or just use larger tires in the rear and smaller ones in the front. I think that is it for now, but I know I will have more questions.thanks

Chuck

carbuilderboy
10-10-2007, 08:17 AM
First thing that you should do is some research. Look at lots of mags and figure out what you want your truck to look like. If you want to get a really low stance you should prob. build your own frame (I used 2x3 square tube). Just remember to use some fish plates at your joints. If you have any older guys in your area that you can ask questions, go do it. They seem to really know about the staight axel stuff and the old school stuff ( I did this for about a year before I even started my truck). You could also just go up to someone that you see driving a rat and start asking them questions. The cool part to me about this rat thing is that most of the people doing it are willing to talk and share info. Were in Canada are you? The 35 Ford is a good base truck to start with since there are lots of parts that are easy to get, plus it is a good for resale rig once it is done. Good luck with the truck and dont foget to post some pics (before and during your build), we all like to see the pics.

cbn70
10-10-2007, 09:16 AM
I am in Edmonton Alberta. I am not looking at sticking it in the weeds. Just to have a nice rake to it.