PDA

View Full Version : Keg gas tank build

AFscott
08-21-2007, 05:25 PM
I thought I would post some pics of my keg gas tank build, So far its only cost 10 bucks (cost of the keg). What Ive done so far is in the top is drilled a hole and put in a breather that I can open or close, got that from an old hydraulic resivoir from a tractor, the outlet for the fuel is all AN fittings that I scored from a buddy. I dont think Im gonna run a gauge so Ill either make a dipstick or run a piece of clear line along the side to see the quantity of gas. It is a new keg from budweiser and what Ive done for the cap is found out that the full size mag lights pressed perfectly into the hole in the top of the keg, so I just cut the 2" off the end of an old mag-light and the battery cap is my fuel cap, even has an oring in it! Just to make sure it doesnt come out I ran a set screw in to it. Hopefully this helps anyone whos building one, Ive never been able to find a real good thread on building one. ill post pics as soon as it's all done. The biggest problem Ive had is cleaning the keg out, Ive alreday washed 8 gallons of gas through it and it still smells like beer.http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r146/AFscott_album/100_0529.jpg http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r146/AFscott_album/100_0530.jpg

chuddly
08-21-2007, 05:58 PM
I did mine different...bought a flip top gas cap and i have my keg on its side...the i put a brass fitting on the bottom for my supply line...simple as can be. I just ran screws into the keg for holding the gas cap and used silicone to seal around it.

AFscott
08-21-2007, 06:26 PM
I thought about flipping mine too and doing a boat gas cap, I was trying as hard as possible to make it look as little as gas tank as possible, Im going to hide all of the lines and maybe get rid of the breather on top.

brianbuilt
08-31-2007, 07:37 PM
where do you get a keg for 10 bucks? I'll take 2 please

cadillacoffin
09-01-2007, 09:40 AM
i saw a bunch last time i dropped off metal at the srcap yard. i bet you could get them just for the metals worth. i work in the same area as the scrap yard and the other day i saw a guy takeing acouple truck there. one being a late 60s ford all complete, just looked like it had been sitting on the farm for a whiel and get got tired of it. complete i beam axle setup on it probly cost ya only 50 if they would let ya pull it. whats a whole car getting these days 250$?
________
Allison1 live (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/Allison1)

passtentz
09-01-2007, 09:48 AM
i have a question, when your running a keg type tank, does there have to be a pressure relief valve of some sort?
it just seems to me that a keg full of gas in the sun, getting bounced around would build up some kind of crazy pressure, which would be cool for holeshots, but im saying when it's just sitting.
i always thought they were really cool, i just wondered about that.

AFscott
09-04-2007, 01:23 PM
I made a releif valve in the top, thats what the yellow thing is in the top. Mine is just a releif valve from an old ford tractor's hydraulic resivoir.

chuddly
09-04-2007, 03:27 PM
the flip top boat gas cap is vented so no pressure here

mustard_madman
09-07-2007, 12:58 AM
I got two empty full sized kegs for free, but I dont think they would work in a Bug :)

DonMan
09-07-2007, 08:59 AM
whats a whole car getting these days 250$?

Less than $100 around here ... :rolleyes:

Monstar46
01-12-2008, 12:29 PM
Not the greatest picture...but I stood mine up as well. Just welded an storty aluminum filler neck/cap from a boat on it. Does everyone get asked as much as I do "Why do you have a keg in the back?"...

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b269/NoLift3000/Truck/blackwhite46truck.jpg

frank p
01-13-2008, 09:48 AM
Does anything special have to be done in order to run gas through a beer keg? I've thought about using a couple for my coe project but didn't know if I could use an aluminum keg or should go to a stainless steel type.

Sick Boy
01-13-2008, 10:02 AM
I got two empty full sized kegs for free, but I dont think they would work in a Bug :)

Give me a price to ship one to zip code 14108,and i'll PayPal you the shipping.

FresnoRatRod
01-07-2009, 08:58 AM
I would just be worried about some teens seeing them in the back of my truck and trying to run off with my "beer" or them thinking that is what it is and messing my truck up, other than that and a possible cop issue as a possibility I think this would be a fun addition to my build.

TRUCKENSTEIN
01-15-2009, 05:25 AM
I would like to see how you did your fuel line coming out of the tank, I have my filler cap and vent done but can't find a way I am happy with for where the fuel line comes out, will you have you Keg sitting normal or laying on its side when it is done?