PDA

View Full Version : Steering arm geometry

porkchop4464
05-11-2010, 04:23 PM
I am attaching pics for my pitman and drag link angle. I know that the steering geometry gods state "keep the draglink level with the bone or road. Now, I can do so, butit makes my steering/spindle knuckle look absurd; so I ask, has anyone on here run a similar angle on their rod as the one posted in my pics, with positive results? I ask, because I know that I have seen many pics of different geometry, I am just hopingfor some example pics and ideas. And thanks to all who have made suggestions.
Pork

PA41
05-11-2010, 07:52 PM
YO PC, cars lookin good!

Yeah, it's good to have the steering link as parallel as possible to minimize the wheels steering on a bounce. I've seen some steering arms on spindles that kick up real high to make it line up--looks OK. Like all this, its hard to get the ideal setup, and in the real world sometimes it's not 100% necessary.

Do the best ya can, then if it is darty on a bump you know where the problem is--then fix it

Good progress...keep on keepin on...

PA41

donsrods
05-12-2010, 05:44 AM
I am probably missing something, but why is your pitman arm pointing up? Normally Corvair boxes have them pointing down.

Don

punkinrat62
05-12-2010, 06:46 AM
Parallel only if you are running a 4 bar front suspension. With a wishbonesetup the drag link angle should have an imaginary line intersect the rear mounting point of the wishbone. Your set up will have all kinds of bumpsteer!

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh271/dmw56/51%20truck/005-12.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh271/dmw56/51%20truck/006-12.jpg

choppintops
05-12-2010, 10:58 AM
I am probably missing something, but why is your pitman arm pointing up? Normally Corvair boxes have them pointing down.

Don Don, it looks to me like it is a 60s-70s Ford box, and they point up. It for sure isn't a corvair box.

punkinrat62
05-12-2010, 11:15 AM
Don, it looks to me like it is a 60s-70s Ford box, and they point up. It for sure isn't a corvair box.

Looks like a Mopar box.

choppintops
05-12-2010, 11:20 AM
Looks like a Mopar box.
I just searched his posts after you said that. He says its a Mustang box.

donsrods
05-12-2010, 09:28 PM
Don, it looks to me like it is a 60s-70s Ford box, and they point up. It for sure isn't a corvair box.

Yeah, my bad. I saw the nut around the steering shaft and it looked Corvairish to me. Then I realized the pitman arm shaft was way longer than a Vair. Old age is a b****, can't see even with glasses any more. lol

Don

choppintops
05-12-2010, 09:29 PM
Yeah, my bad. I saw the nut around the steering shaft and it looked Corvairish to me. Then I realized the pitman arm shaft was way longer than a Vair. Old age is a b****, can't see even with glasses any more. lol

Don

I hear ya. My kid laughs everytime she sees me tilt my head up to see things under my glasses.

porkchop4464
05-13-2010, 03:21 AM
Ya know, I know that I have seen tons of pics with reversed geometry. Meaning, that it is off from what the articles suggest. I will mock it mess with it , and your right, if shes off, she will tell me.

porkchop4464
05-15-2010, 03:38 AM
erased a double message here. Sorry
Pork

porkchop4464
05-15-2010, 03:51 AM
Yeah, I know about all the intersect lines Pumpkin; I have read it all in several places, thank you for the pics and your response. I am not argueing with the posts, it is just that I have seen so many pics of altered steering geometry (dispite the rules mentioned) and I wonder if they work with slight concerns or if they just don't drive them. I know people are going to flip out and say "F" it do what you want. Or " just do it right," and I am really not trying to offend anyone, I am simply hoping to hear from people who have worked it all out of whack with no issue. It is kinda like not cutting drums the first time around when you replace shoes. If there scored bad, of course you do it, if there is no ridge and she's smooth? I throw the pads on. Yes, it's really wrong. but I have done it my entire life because I was broke.
Let me give you a specific example of why I keep questioning. I once went to a car show, and the guy had a bucket T with the arms in front of the axle, Ackerman, smakermaan is what he expresses, cause he was way, way, way off, and the steering arm to spindle way, way the hell ascending from the spindle (when considering the line of the wishbone). Anyway, I ask the guy, how does she ride? He explains that he has a 50s Caddy, a 35 pickup, and a newer beater, and this car, the T, drives straightest? How? He didn't seem to be bragging?
Pork

porkchop4464
05-24-2010, 02:58 PM
This way, the box arm will face down and line up better. I am still open for All suggestions. Please post steering geometry pics!
Pork

porkchop4464
05-24-2010, 03:00 PM
I am wondering which model GM cars have teh bigger Vega box. Monti, Camaro, Buick Regal?
Pork

cornfieldcustoms
05-24-2010, 03:36 PM
the reason people get away with not following traditional sterring geometry is the shear fact they dont care. i have a few customers who have done thier own steering and it is wrong and they always say the will deal with bum steer in stead of fixing the problem, or they think it is normal on old cars

55f100tx
05-25-2010, 07:31 PM
get some graph paper, measure from the center of the king pin back to your 4bar or split bone mount. now measure from the pitman arm to the steering arm. transfer this to graph paper. take a compass and put the point on your split bone mount to the center of the king pin or axle center, draw a arc. do the same with your steering mount points. if the arc is the same you are good. if not you will have problems.

porkchop4464
05-26-2010, 09:06 AM
Thanx for the idea, I will do that